Murry and Leonie Guggenheim Memorial Library
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Guggenheim Cottage was designed by the prominent New York Architectural firm of Carrere & Hastings and was awarded a Gold Medal for design by the Architectural League in 1907. Its graceful proportion and articulation are unusual for the early 20th century. It is a fine example of an early 20th century country house, with generous axial halls, wide French doors opening onto landscaped terraces, paneled rooms, colonnaded arcades, and classical detailing.
The Cottage was the summer residence of Murry & Leonie Guggenheim. Murry was one of seven sons of Mayer Guggenheim, noted New York industrialist.
The building was donated to (then) Monmouth College in 1961 by the Murry & Leonie Guggenheim Foundation and was adapted for use as a Library. The University has just begun a major rehabilitation project to preserve this historic structure.