Murrell Memorial Library
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The library collection at Missouri Valley College has had three homes over the past 114 years, and Murrell Memorial Library is by far the grandest. Until the generous donation of our current library by Mr. George A. Murrell in 1927, the top floor of Main Building (now Baity Hall) and part of Stewart Chapel (burned to the ground by an arsonist in the early 1970s) were used as library space. The Murrell Memorial Library was completed in 1928. While always a lovely building, over the past couple of years the interior of Murrell Memorial Library has undergone a face-lift. What a difference a little paint and new carpet or floor tile can make! Richly decorated in ivory and plum, the interior now matches the exterior's splendor.
The library building is an integral part of every college campus. It not only supplies students with research materials, but also offers a quiet study environment--a valuable commodity on most college campuses. For many years, Murrell Memorial Library served not only the students of Missouri Valley College, but the population of Marshall, MO, as well. Until the early 1990s, Marshall had no public library. Therefore, the Murrell Memorial Library has had a vast impact on both the college and surrounding community.