| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Sutherland House was the home of the school's first president, E.A. Sutherland, of Emmanuel Missionary College. It is a two-story wood-frame structure built in 1902 by students and faculty. President Sutherland named the home Brooknook and lived there from 1902-1904. President Sutherland was an education reformer and proponent of spreading the gospel through mission service.
Sutherland House is the only remaining architectural link to the University's early history in Berrien Springs. It is located on the northwest corner of campus overlooking Lemon Creek. Currently, the building is not in use, although it does house a memorabilia room furnished in the style of 1900.