Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Mallett-Rogers House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Methodist College
Original/Historic Place Name: Council Hall
Location on Campus: south campus behind soccer field
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1735original construction Council, Hardy, Jr.
1820addition Unknown
1930relocation Unknown
1986relocation Unknown
1986-1988renovation Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: brick
Walls: wood (exterior); plaster (interior); wood (interior)
Roof: cedar shake shingle
 
    Function:
1735-1988private residence
1988museum (art gallery; meeting and reception area)
1988administration (Community Relations and Public Relations)

Significance: architecture, history
Landmark designation:
National RegisterMcArthur - Council House (1983)
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
The oldest portion of the Mallett-Rogers House is a small Coastal Plain style cottage built in the early 1700s at Campbellton (a forerunner of Fayetteville), North Carolina, a small town on the west side of the Cape Fear River, 92 miles upstream from Wilmington. Daniel Mallett bought the house in 1778 from James Council and sold it to his brother, Peter Mallett, in 1779. Peter Mallett moved to Council Hall from Wilmington in 1780. State archeaologists believe the larger and finer house, known locally as Council Hall, was added to the small house in 1820. In the early 1800s, Peter's son, Charles Peter Mallett, built the first cotton factory in Fayetteville, located on Gillespie Street near Council Hall. In 1830, Charles Peter Mallett had the house moved across town to a 20-acre tract he owned at Eutaw Springs. The sixth owner, Charles Beatty Mallett, became a wealthy businessman with interests in cotton manufacturing, railroads, coal mining, and iron works; in 1857 he sold Council Hall to James Marly Smith and built a new home on Raleigh Road called Woodside. Reputed to be the oldest residence in Fayetteville, what is now known as the Mallett-Rogers House was occupied in the 18th century by Hardy Council Jr., James Council, Daniel Mallett, and Peter Mallett; in the 19th century by Charles Peter Mallett, Charles Beatty Mallett, and James Marly Smith; and in the 20th century by Dr. James Vance McGougan and Mrs. Florence Lyon Rogers.

Peter Mallett (1744-1805) was engaged in the shipping trade in Wilmington and served as the quartermaster for the Fourth Regiment of North Carolina troops during the Revolutionary War. Peter Mallett mentions Council Hall in his journal, noting that he and his wife Sarah and two servants had repelled a group of invaders who had gotten as far as the staircase in early April 1781, claiming to be seeking provisions for Lord Cornwallis' army, which was retreating from Guilford.

In 1986, the house was donated to Methodist College by the Florence Rogers Charitable Trust and moved to the campus. During the next two years, the Trust and the College spent approximately $150,000 restoring and updating the house to serve as a college art gallery. The house has two components: a small, two-room cottage with a fireplace and an attic, and a much larger one and one-half story home which matches early descriptions and sketches of Council Hall. In 1986, the two structures were separated so they could be moved to Methodist College. When the structures reached the campus, the small house was placed immediately behind the large one.

The large house has three rooms downstairs, two of which have fireplaces; the upper floor, originally two rooms, was opened up to make one large room with vaulted ceiling and exposed beams. There are two fireplaces on the second floor. Full-length porches extend across the front and rear of the large house, which has six dormers in the roof (three in the front and three in the back) and distinctive semicircular windows under the roof peaks on both ends. All four fireplaces are framed by intricate hand-carved mantels; the floors are made of heart pine.

Because of its warmth, distinctive character, and secluded location in a wooded area, the Mallett-Rogers House has proved to be a popular venue for art shows, small group meetings, and receptions. Methodist College and the Florence Rogers Charitable Trust are proud of the Mallett-Rogers House and the way they worked together to preserve what is thought to be the oldest house in Fayetteville.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

None specified.

II. Location of other data:
University: Library
SHPO
Government Offices
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006