Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Regina Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Marywood University
Original/Historic Place Name: O'Reilly Hall
Location on Campus: 2300 Adams Ave.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1928original construction Unknown
1977remodeled interior Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: clay (exterior); tile (exterior); red tapestry brick (exterior); Indiana limestone (exterior); plaster (interior)
Roof: EPDM (rubber)
 
    Function:
ca. 1928other (parlors)
ca. 1928dining hall (cafeteria)
1928-present (2007)residence hall
1928-present (2007)chapel
ca. 2004-present (2007)other (chaplain, campus ministry)

Significance: architecture, education, religion
Landmark designation:
none
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
Connected with the Liberal Arts Center is Regina Hall, a residence hall built in 1928. It is a four-story building with an imposing main entrance. Compatible in style with the Liberal Arts Center, the entrance has wide front steps surmounted by an arched colonnade. The original design provided the students with suites of rooms, recreation parlors, a small quiet chapel, an elevator, a foyer with Oriental rugs and ornate chairs carved of dark wood, and an elegant dining room with paneled oak walls, arched windows, and crystal chandeliers.

Soon after a fire that destroyed the IHM Motherhouse in early 1971, the space in Regina Hall that had once been the formal dining room was transformed into a temporary chapel, which was eventually converted in 1977 to its present state. (Plans are progressing in 2003 toward construction of a new chapel.) No attempt was made to imitate the Motherhouse chapel. The marble, the gilt, and the classical stained glass were no longer financially feasible, and a new emphasis on active participation in the liturgy made a more functional and streamlined chapel the logical choice. Renovation included new stained glass windows, carpets, and pews, as well as improved lighting and a large mosaic behind a new altar.

The stained glass windows manufactured by Heimer Studios of Clifton, NJ support a modern artistic design created by an Irish artist. The pews, coming from New Holland, PA, are of walnut with royal blue upholstery fabric, which complements the blue carpeting. The mosaic behind the altar was designed by Mr. Ray Lorenzoni, a local artist who often worked with the Guild Studios on church projects. The mosaic was manufactured in Petrosanta, northern Italy, center of carrara marble and former residence of Michelangelo. It is composed of 75% Venetian smalti mosaic pieces and marble chips and was constructed by an old family blending process which has been handed down through generations. The mosaic's design is liturgical in nature, symbolic of the Eucharist. Its colors are reflective of those in the stained glass windows.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

None specified.

II. Location of other data:
University: Special Collections, Facilities Management Office
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006