Western Maryland College Alumni Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Alumni Hall (very recently renamed Western Maryland College Alumni Hall to commemorate and perpetuate the former name of the College) is one of the largest and most-used buildings on campus. Its outward appearance of a grand opera house gives it stature, and its location on a corner near the town's main street makes it a well-known fixture in Westminster. Soon after it was built it became the town's "civic auditorium" (until the new high school was opened with a larger capacity in 1971). It saw service as the site for county musical festivals, city and county celebrations, and any event requiring a large space. The college used it for every commencement from 1899 until 1971, for Sunday chapel services from 1932 to 1958, for weekly assemblies of the entire student body until they were discontinued, and for various formal convocations until the College population grew too large for the space. Generations of students have spent time in the building, attending plays and concerts, pep rallies, movies, rained-out May Day festivities, Fall Convocations, and of course their graduation. Some of the early classes donated the stained glass windows depicting the ancient muses which surround the stage and which are also located on the lower floor, those depicting the seven liberal arts in Victorian splendor.
Throughout its long history the building also was the site of the regular annual meeting of the Baltimore Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church (later the United Methodist Church), with which the College was affiliated until 1975. Many ministers of that church were ordained on the stage during an ordination service held there each year until Baker Memorial Chapel was built. The Westminster Theological Seminary also used it occasionally (1899-1958).
This building has played a pivotal role in the College's history for over one hundred years by serving a great variety of needs as they arose, including its present role as the site of the Theatre Arts Department as well as a venue for musical concerts by College organizations and professional groups.