Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Lourdes College
Original/Historic Place Name: Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel
Location on Campus: 6832 Convent Blvd.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1959-1961original construction Unknown
1986renovated Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: poured concrete
Walls: sandstone light brick (exterior); tile (exterior, embedded)
Roof: terra cotta tile
 
    Function:
ca. 1959-present (2007)chapel

Significance: architecture, culture, education, history, religion
Landmark designation:
none
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel was modeled on the Santa Barbara Mission and skillfully captures the Franciscan longing to praise God with the beauty and splendor of our prayer and handiwork.

The stain and chunk glass windows, designed by Stephen Bridges of New York, fill the space with rays of light. Images of stylized Fra Angelico angels, the great window with Mary and Christ Child receiving the song of more angels, and the magnificent image of Christ the Prince of Peace embrace the assembly. At eye level the Benedicite windows proclaim in word and bold symbols the praises of God through all creation. Fourteen ceramic plaques from France set in a bed of Ravenna tesserae depict the Stations of the Cross, a Franciscan devotion.

The chapel's beauty is enriched by the original artwork of the Sisters of St. Francis. The San Damiano Crucifix, modeled after the icon so dear to St. Francis, rests below the great window. The artist, Sister Ruth Marie Kachelek, used the ancient process of egg tempera on gessoed wood. The ceiling uses over 10,300 acoustic tiles to translate a calligraphic design by Sister Michaeline Lesiak into a stenciled and spray-painted visual prayer of praise. The original Schantz 15-rank pipe organ adds to that song.

The Chapel was renovated in 1986 to adapt the space to contemporary liturgical practice.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

Klewicki, Mary Dunstan. Ventures For The Lord: The History of the Sylvania Franciscans. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1990.

Lesiak, Michaeline. Art Catalogue: Narrative in the Duns Scotus Library. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1986.

Warpeha, M. Justinian. Of Evergreens Rooted In Yellow Sand, a Profile of Venerable Mother M. Adelaide, Foundress of the Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1967.

II. Location of other data:
University: Library, Special Collections
Other: Sisters of St. Francis Archives
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006